Hey there, visitor! Welcome to Swim Forums, the web's #1 swimming discussion forum.

Swim Forums is a community of swimmers, both competitive and recreational, and coaches that help each other get better at the sport. Whether you swim workouts for 2 hours a day, or just swim in your friend's backyard pool, Swim Forums has something for you!

Members get the benefits of creating their own profile page and participating in a wide range of community discussions! Membership is fun, easy, and free, and registration only takes a moment of your time. Once you create an account, you can start posting right away! Create an Account »

Already a member? Login to your account:
Username: Password: Remember me?
This forum is currently in archive mode. All posts are read-only.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tips for swimming the 500 Freestyle?
Zash Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Tips for swimming the 500 Freestyle?
Tomorrow is the first time that I'll be doing a 500 Freestyle. Since it's my first time, I'm going for a simple base of under 6 minutes.

Do you have any 500 freestyle tips? I need tips for swimming it, as well as preparation ideas?
(This post was last modified: Jan 14, 2010 7:43pm by Zash.)
Dec 5, 2009 5:47pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SwimCoachTools Offline
Moderators
RE: Tips for swimming the 500 Freestyle?
Errrr...Well, there's quite a few strategies for swimming it. Depending on your endurance level (which, based on what you've said isn't necessarily great), try and go out pretty hard on the first 100, hold a steady pace (not slow, not sprint, but steady) for the middle 300, and sprint the last 100.

Also, don't kick the same you would on a 50 or 100. Your kick should be notably slower, because the Quads are so huge, they use a disproportionate amount of energy. Of course, a 500 isn't a TRUE distance swim, so don't completely shut them off, but if your overall endurance isn't spectacular, slow the kick down a touch.

Good luck!
Dec 6, 2009 11:58am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zash Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Thanks. I did it, and my coach said I did pretty well, my only problem was that I didn't react very quickly and ended up not really sprinting the last 100 Undecided

Final time was 6:00.27 (haha that's what I want), so I'll be going down from there Smile
(This post was last modified: Dec 7, 2009 6:26am by Zash.)
Dec 7, 2009 6:26am
SwimCoachTools Offline
Moderators
Hey, that's not a bad time at all for a first go at it! It's tough to work your pacing out when you don't know what to expect. Good luck next time, and keep us posted on your times!
Dec 9, 2009 1:22pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vandy Offline
Occasional Swimmer
Members
Free Style is very easy style for the swimmers.It is my favourite one.
You just need to take deep breaths before going in the pool & think positive & you will surely do well in the competition. Do not get nervous.
Jan 4, 2010 7:43am
Zash Offline
Administrator
Administrators
I just swam the 400 IM for the first time 5:14.75. Smile
Jan 10, 2010 3:12pm
SwimCoachTools Offline
Moderators
Hey, that's actually a pretty decent time for a first go! Congrats! All that hard training must be paying off.
Jan 11, 2010 4:40pm
Zash Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Yea, I'm impressed considering that I was in a slow heat (being in lane 7 with an empty lane 8, and lapping the person in lane 6 Tongue)
Jan 11, 2010 7:59pm
SwimmingXpert Offline
Hobbyist Swimmer
Members
I went a 5:40 my first time, I'm now at 5:21
Apr 29, 2010 7:19pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  First time doing an IM any tips on pacing yourself? Izziewx 0 490 Jul 19, 2013 7:44pm
Last Post: Izziewx
  First time doing an IM any tips? Izziewx 0 423 Jul 17, 2013 7:03pm
Last Post: Izziewx
  100m Freestyle Splitting VydentSwimmer 5 3,587 Jun 11, 2011 10:33pm
Last Post: VydentSwimmer
  i need to help mentally and 100m freestyle swimmerinneed 1 1,545 Apr 25, 2011 5:13am
Last Post: VydentSwimmer
  How to Swim the 1650 Freestyle Zash 1 2,445 Oct 4, 2010 8:18pm
Last Post: Matt

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content