Hey there, visitor! Welcome to Swim Forums, the web's #1 swimming discussion forum.

Swim Forums is a community of swimmers, both competitive and recreational, and coaches that help each other get better at the sport. Whether you swim workouts for 2 hours a day, or just swim in your friend's backyard pool, Swim Forums has something for you!

Members get the benefits of creating their own profile page and participating in a wide range of community discussions! Membership is fun, easy, and free, and registration only takes a moment of your time. Once you create an account, you can start posting right away! Create an Account »

Already a member? Login to your account:
Username: Password: Remember me?
This forum is currently in archive mode. All posts are read-only.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Swimming Snacks
AirsoftKid Offline
Hobbyist Swimmer
Members
Swimming Snacks
Some may not believe it, but swimmers can snack too! Snacks are great for giving you energy throughout the day and to energize you for an awesome workout! I threw together this guide to guide people in the direction of healthy snacking.

Granola Bars:
Granola bars are a great choice after your workout, as they provide carbohydrates and satisfy your hunger and possibly your sweet tooth. Caution should be used when buying, however, because some brands have to much sugar.

Raw Nuts:
Nuts are an awesome choice for the body! They help energize you and have a lot of vitamins and minerals. Some nuts have protein, potassium, magnesium, iron, phosphorous, zinc, vitamin E, selenium, copper, calcium, and thiamin. (Some great nuts are walnuts, pistachios, and almonds.)

Vegetables & Fruit:
These should be common sense. Fruit and vegetables help your body recover from workouts and taste great! They also have plenty of vitamins and minerals. (Some good fruits and vegetables are bananas, celery, carrots, apples, plums, strawberries, blueberries, and apples.)

Low Fat Yogurt & Cottage Cheese:
Yogurts have Live Cultures which are very good for your body and help your body stay healthy. With a healthy body, your swimming is bound to improve! Also, yogurt has probiotics that help us digest better, and help maintain a healthy immune system. Cottage Cheese also has all these benefiets.

Chocolate Milk:
I love chocolate milk, and it is great for a drink AFTER practice. It helps you recover from practice, and tastes great! The calories, protein, and carbohydrates are just what a swimmer needs after a workout! This is my favorite snack of all of them.

I just started this guide, feedback and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
(This post was last modified: Oct 14, 2009 7:48pm by AirsoftKid.)
Oct 14, 2009 2:20pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zash Offline
Administrator
Administrators
RE: Swimming Snacks
Nice list Smile Just as a clarification, the Chocolate Milk is only AFTER the workout, and not before, correct? Because I know certain foods, especially dairy, can make you sick during a hard practice.
Oct 14, 2009 6:47pm
AirsoftKid Offline
Hobbyist Swimmer
Members
Yes, dairy is always after practice. However, you can eat yogurt or cheese about an hour before practice, and have good results.
Oct 14, 2009 6:51pm
chronicent Offline
Junior Swimmer
New Members
a very nice descriptive list ..
I always prefer raw nuts and vegetables and fruits.. they are the best for the health Wink
Nov 30, 2009 11:47pm
SwimCoachTools Offline
Moderators
Great list!

Even the thought of drinking chocolate milk during a hard practice makes me nauseous. Yuggghhhh.

What brands of granola bars do you recommend as the best?
Nov 30, 2009 11:57pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zash Offline
Administrator
Administrators
I've found the Fiber 1 peanut butter bars are great.
Dec 1, 2009 6:49am
vandy Offline
Occasional Swimmer
Members
Do these snacks mentioned by you in the thread can be taken before your swim or only after the work out to gain energy??
Jan 4, 2010 8:00am
SwimCoachTools Offline
Moderators
Probably depends on what you know about your tendency to get ill while swimming. In general, I have trouble eating peanutbutter any time of the day before swimming, and obviously chocolate milk. For the most part, they're good for after a workout to replenish your energy, and to give your body the proteins and vitamins it needs to rebuild muscles.

Swimming isn't a sport that should be trained on short-term energy boosts, instead, try to use the above (and other low-sugar snacks) for long lasting, and legitimate energy, not short red-bull type boosts.
Jan 4, 2010 5:23pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vandy Offline
Occasional Swimmer
Members
I also get problems when i take snacks before my swim because my stomach aches after my swim.
I also have digestive problems in my body.
Jan 5, 2010 2:14am
Ken Tao Offline
Occasional Swimmer
Members
You should not eat for 2 to 3 hours before swimming because much of your respiration and blood is working in your digestive system. Best just to drink sports drinks. If you are trying to lose weight don't eat for at least an hour after swimming. If you are carbo loading hit the pasta hard right away after a swim. Although Mike Phelps may hold many swimming records, I believe his ingesting 12000 calories a day has to be some kind of record in itself. When he's not swimming, he's eating. How he keeps it in his stomach and not into the pool is a big mystery to me!
Dec 30, 2010 7:31pm

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content